Tuesday, August 23, 2011

One Week in Purgatory

When I was a teenager, my Mom and Dad went on a week-long trip to visit some relatives. They left me in charge of five of my younger siblings and an older brother. Nothing in my life up to that time can compare with the challenge of that week and when it was over, nothing could exceed my gratitude to my parents for just coming home.

I admit that I was pretty excited about having Mom and Dad gone for a week. I figured that I could have all the free time I wanted, go to bed when I felt like it and pretty much have the run of the house. It seemed like heaven itself as we said goodbye and watched them drive down the road. The opposite reality of my situation settled on me gradually as I went from one assignment to another and felt the weight of the responsibility of a household slowly fall upon my unprepared shoulders.

The first bit of awakening happened when my older brother made it known both by word and deed that he was not to be counted upon. He wanted to be fed on time, and allowed to come and go as he pleased. In his mind, I was his personal maid and he meant to make the most of it. My younger siblings, which included a teenage brother, seemed bent on taking advantage of my position as well. They knew that I was not their mother and could hardly enforce my commands if they chose to disobey.

The first morning after my parent's departure found me rushing to get breakfast for everyone, get the little ones off to school and get myself out the door in time to catch my ride. My brother, also my ride, decided that he didn't have to wait for me if I was a little late, because he wasn't about to be late because of me. That meant that the house was left pretty much in a shambles that morning, but at least we all got to school. At the end of the school day, I had to come right home to do my paper route and help the other children with their routes. Normally I would have a little snack before doing my route, but in the hustle and worry of getting everything done it was overlooked. So, evening found me exhausted, hungry and very irritable, but I still had to cook dinner for everyone. My brothers, though capable, were extremely reluctant to do anything in the kitchen and again, I was left to do the job alone. Finally we all sat down to eat dinner. When we finished, I was ready to go to my room and do my homework. But the dishes still had not been done and our small kitchen was overflowing with the results of breakfast, dinner and the snacks that everyone had fixed for themselves after school. I begged and pleaded to no avail. The dishes had to be done and I was the only one who would do them. Late that night after doing the dishes and my homework I was able to crawl into bed to rest before starting all over the next day.

The week continued in a similar manner with little respite or help. Once my aunt came to look in on us to make sure we were doing OK. She saw that things were relatively mess-free and the children were still alive, so she went away with a pat on my back and a little laugh. I felt like Daniel being waved at in the Lion's den. I spent my week stopping more fights, cleaning up more messes, and getting less sleep than I ever thought possible.

When Mom and Dad pulled into the driveway my heart gave a great leap and I wanted to shout for joy. When they walked into the house and figuratively took the weight of the world off my shoulders I felt like I could fly! Nothing had ever felt so good. I reached out my arms to my parents with a greater love than I had ever felt before. The relief I felt was so great that shortly after they walked in the door I went to my room and cried for a long, long time.

When I think about it now, I can be grateful for the lessons of that week. I learned that I could never take my parents for granted. I learned that a Mother's job is the hardest one on the planet. I learned that I could DO the hardest job on the planet. I learned that sometimes men are jerks, but you love them anyway. I learned that Mom and Dad were doing the best and hardest thing they knew how to do and they were doing it for me. The love I had for them turned to almost reverence when I thought about all the sacrifices they must have made for me over so many years' time. May I be struck by lightening if I ever forget and become ungrateful. I would deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment