Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Boy Called Scrooge

I was twelve years old when our family, which was large, undertook at Christmas time to put on the play of “The Christmas Carol”. We only performed it in the privacy of our own living room and for our own enjoyment, but we did it. During North Dakota winters there are many days in which travel is impossible, so we frequently employed these kinds of amusements for ourselves. This particular year Mother was trying to instill into us children a greater sense of generosity and goodness, I think. However, as we began discussing who would play which part, there was a unanimous chorus of voices saying that my brother Ben should be Scrooge. With a big smile and a superior air, he took the part. We were all astonished at his willingness, seeming smugness and even cheerfulness at playing such a character. We just couldn't understand it.

Oddly enough, we had sometimes called him 'Scrooge' at Christmas time in the past, partly because we often played games on our vacations and my brother Ben was more prone to winning than anyone else. But more than that, we all thought that he did his winning at the expense of everyone else, and in a greedy sort of way. When we played monopoly, he would take pleasure in demanding the rent, even if the person could not afford it. It seemed that he loved to make the rest of us go bankrupt. Eventually, the others stopped playing games with him and he would beg in vain for an opportunity. Occasionally, I would take pity on him and would play a game, knowing full well that I was going to lose the game. But I knew how much enjoyment he got from winning, so I would play, for his sake.

With Ben, life was a game and games were life and he simply HAD to win. Every game he played as a child, he took seriously. Every problem faced in a game was a real problem to him. He made no exceptions, took every advantage and played every game as though it were a real fortune and he the master of it. The rest of us were just playing a game.

The Scrooge that was my brother, grew up and became a man. He played the game of life exactly as he had played the monopoly game. He worked at and acquired education, position and preeminence. He went to the top of his field in a few years and worked the system as he had worked the game board as a child. Wealth and power were his on a grand scale.

Now, you might think that the role of Scrooge befitted this boy, as well as this man. When I was twelve, I thought it did. His behavior, to me, was ample proof that he was a Scrooge in every sense of the word. Still today, there are those who see his wealth and cry, “Scrooge!” But they would be wrong. A few years ago, when we were not sure where we were going to live, one of my other brothers mentioned to us that we might be able to live in the house that they had just vacated. I thanked him for his kindness and he quickly corrected the direction of my gratitude. He said that the house had been furnished to them by my brother Ben because of their financial troubles. Ben had simply bought the house and let them live in it. I learned from my sister that he had quietly provided a much-needed washer and dryer when she had none. From another brother I discovered that Ben had often employed him when he was out of work. From another sister I learned that he had provided for her family for many months when they had no income. I have watched over the years as he quietly houses numerous college students; children of my brothers and sisters. I have seen him open his home literally hundreds of times to traveling family members and friends who need a place to say. Not only are they provided with a place to sleep, but a wonderful meal and happy company when they arrive.

The boy I once called Scrooge has become a man who could be called the opposite of Scrooge. His generosity is as great as what I thought were his childhood defects. I am beginning to wonder if the things I saw as defects were really his gifts, and that, even as a child, he was learning how to be wise with money so that he could be a great help to his family. Everyone has gifts like that. Maybe we just need to look a little deeper, judge a little less and wait a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment