Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Character Development, Please

When I read a book or watch a movie or talk to someone I am always looking for that little something special on the inside that rings true and lifts me above my former self and makes me a better person. The longer I live and the more I see of the world, it seems, the harder it is to find that something special that lifts one beyond the mundane.

In books it usually shows itself in character development. You begin reading about someone and as you read, you like the person, feel empathy for their situation and begin to relate to them on a personal level. That person then faces a challenge which seems insurmountable and you feel sympathy and even pain for the character. Then, as the book progresses, the person learns things that help him to overcome the challenges he faces. The learning is real, right and easy to relate to. Finally, there is a resolution and an ending. This pattern is effective and provides a guide for readers and writers alike. And although not all literature falls into this pattern, enough of it does to illustrate the point.

Conversely there is a growing body of fiction being written today that follows an increasingly chaotic pattern. I read a book recently that was talked about by many people in my acquaintance. I had heard from many people that it was a good book and I was willing to give it a try. I don't usually read a book unless I have many referrals simply because my time is so limited and I don't want to waste it in reading something that is not worth my time. So, as I read this book, I began to be interested in the characters, wondering what they were going to do and what would happen. The more I read, the more I wanted to read. Then, although the story was interesting and I wanted to know what would happen, I began to notice the lack of descriptions. We were seldom told how things looked or felt, but we were constantly being pushed into another crisis with little background and almost no character development. I found myself wanting to stop the author and ask a few questions about the characters, the place and the time. It was like talking to a young child who, in their anxiety to tell you the story and what happened, forget important details that give important insight into the story and help you understand what is happening.

For example, in the book Robinson Crusoe, the author tells not only the story of a man on an island and how he survives the terrible trials he faces, but he also gives you ample opportunity to get to know what kind of person he is before he reaches the island. We meet his family, share his dreams, his mistakes and his trouble. When he reaches the island, we are fairly confidant in the knowledge of who he is and what he might do. Then we are surprised and pleased by the things he learns and how he changes. In the other book I have described, this character development and story preparation is almost entirely lacking. The result then, is a kind of soap opera book that goes from one crisis to another with no character development, no learning, no growth. The plot goes from one dramatic, sensational trauma to another with sometimes miraculous recovery, but it never seems real or beneficial. What it lacks in character and plot development it tries to make up for in reckless sensationalism. Then to top off the affront, instead of having a decent ending with some closure and resolution, they simply leave you hanging and expect you to wait for and buy the next book that promises to be more of the same. Ugh.

Books and movies are more abundant now than ever. They fill our libraries and occupy our time, but rare indeed is that book or movie that in my opinion, has that something special that lifts you and makes you a better person or improves your outlook. It is as rare as a balanced budget in government and honest men in politics. Hmm. I wonder if there is any correlation.

No comments:

Post a Comment