Monday, November 28, 2011

Wildrose Music: Music For Everyone

The goal of Wildrose Music is to provide great original music, royalty free, that is downloadable in several formats. We have created a place where choir directors and musicians of all kinds can find good new music that is free and easy to download.

There is a need, we feel, to share the music that is being written. We feel that the copyright laws are too strict and actually restrict the circulation of great music. Some people feel that composers deserve to be paid for their work, as much as anyone. As a composer I have struggled with this question for many years. Certainly composers have to eat, but selling sheets of music is not the answer. Music is something you share. However, I realize that I am almost entirely alone in my opinion. I believe that people ought to be given the opportunity to have the great music that is being written. If it is of value to them, then they ought to give back what they think it is worth. However, I, as a composer will not hold the music ransom for money. In my opinion, this cheapens my life and makes me a slave to the dollar. What I write, I write for the good of myself, God and other people. I do not write it to make money for me or anyone else. I believe that the good music I send out will come back to me in the form of good will, good wishes and joy. It has already done so for these many years. I have shared all my music with anyone who asked me. I have been paid, again and again in things other than money. Once I make it a profitable venture; expecting money from every page printed, then the joy of giving is gone and the avarice of expectation sets in.

I choose to leave the avarice alone and live only with the joy of knowing that the music is going out and giving someone else a slice of happiness. That is enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment