Monday, November 7, 2011

A Gift


In 1742 George Frideric Handel composed Messiah, a sacred oratorio for choir and orchestra. This amazing and beautiful work has lived on since the composer's death in 1759, a legacy to this man's genius as a composer. Originally designed and intended as a preparation for Lent, this work has instead become a traditional Christmas work, often to the exclusion of the crucifixion and resurrection images. Messiah, however, remains a world-wide favorite and the one work by which Handel is most widely recognized.
When I was a child, I discovered a recording of Messiah which immediately captured my interest. It continually drew me like a magnet to it's glorious sounds and messages. While my friends and other family members were engrossed in the Beatles, Elvis, Chicago, Styx, the Jackson Five and others, I was off in my own little world with Handel, listening to and conducting Messiah. I imagined a huge chorus and orchestra at my feet as I raised my hands to give the down beat. I dreamed of one day being in an orchestra or choir to perform that music, and I also dreamed of conducting it. Youth has no concept of the audacity of it's dreams. It only dreams.
When I got to college, I was still listening to my recording and conducting it in the privacy of my bedroom, but I also began using it in my conducting class. I learned all the techniques of conducting a complicated piece like “For Unto Us a Child is Born”. I never tired of hearing and conducting Handel's great work that seemed to speak to me across the years and give me a sense of direction and meaning in my life. During that time I was also given the opportunity to perform Messiah with the college choir and orchestra. One dream had come true.
When I began to have my family, Messiah was always at the back of my mind, waiting to be sung. Once, for a Christmas celebration, I asked my church choir to sing a couple of numbers from Messiah, which they reluctantly performed. I discovered that people are afraid of the music of Messiah because it seems so difficult. People who consider themselves amateur singers will rarely consent to tackle this work, partly because of it's imposing stature in history and tradition, and partly because they are afraid that they will do it badly. Thus, in all those years after college, it was a rare thing for me to be able to interact with the music of Messiah, except on a recording.
Two months ago, I sat pondering the question of a Christmas program. Budget constraints, economic challenges and busy schedules began to loom before me like a dark storm cloud. “People are having a hard time right now,” I thought. “What could we do that would not interfere too much with people's lives or be a burden to them. The answer came unexpectedly that instead of doing less, I should do more; that there is no better time than right now to give people an opportunity to both give and receive one of the greatest gifts ever given to mankind. The music of Handel and the message of Messiah are timely gifts for a time of trouble. I saw in my mind a choir and orchestra performing a large portion of Messiah to a grateful audience. “That would be another dream come true,” I thought.
The music of Handel's Messiah has followed me, taught me and helped me throughout my life. I now give this gift to my community with all my heart. May it bless your life as it has blessed mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment