Monday, December 19, 2011

All I Want for Christmas


Please,

Let me have a morning where the snow is freshly spread like flour on a pie crust, all light and powdery.

Let me have a great big fresh-smelling pine tree, too broad for it's space in the room and so tall that the star on top has to duck a little to fit; that's full of big, fat, old-fashioned, slow-blinking lights making kaleidoscopic patterns on the ceiling.

Let me have a freshly baked pumpkin pie all steaming and bubbly, fresh from the oven and smelling like a spice rack.

Let me have a cup of apple cider from the apples in the yard, mixed heavily with orange peels, cinnamon sticks and whole cloves.

Let me have days on end of anticipation, music and family togetherness.

Let me have an evening with children dressed as Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, shepherds, wise men, sheep, donkey and an Innkeeper.

Let me have a reading of 'A Christmas Carol' with it's ghosts, memories and change of heart.

Let me have a concert of great music, prepared especially for the season, like a beautiful turkey dinner complete with all the trimmings.

Let me have a turkey dinner with family gathered around the table in thanksgiving for the bounties and blessings of Christmas.

Let me have one moment by myself to reflect on what it means to be alive.

Let me have peanuts and stockings, lumps of coal and oranges, candy canes and ornaments, carols and Christmas cards.

Let me have a morning too early, where, in the dark by flashlight or candle light, children rise and peek at the stockings hung for them on the mantle and gifts that were too big to wrap.

Let me have people to share with, people who need my help and people who just want to be with me.

Let me have all of this and more, every year, year after year for my whole life.

Is that asking too much?
I guess not.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment